The Why Phase

Tuesday, April 11, 2017
We've entered the toddler "Why Phase." I knew it would come,  I just didn't realize how much it would test my patience.

Me: "Can you take your shoes off Claire"
C: "Why Mom?"

Me: "Finish your dinner and you can have a treat"
C: "Why?"

Me: "Don't kick your sister please"
C: "Why Mom?"

It doesn't stop even when you try to answer the Why questions with non-Why-able answers. Here's a real life scenario, for illustration purposes:

Me: "Can you help me put these groceries away?"
C: "Why Mom?"
Me: "Because they need to stay cold in the refrigerator"
C: "Why?"
Me: "You don't want the ice cream to melt do you?"
C: "But why you not put the tomatoes in there too Mom?
Me: "Because they don't have to be cold"
C: "Why Mom?"
Me: "Ummm because tomatoes like it on the counter"

Now it's usually at this juncture where one of three responses can occur:
1. "Oooh" (My favorite)
2. "Why?" (I'm slowly going to go crazy)
3. "I don't want them on the counter! I want them in the fridge! NO MOOOOOOOM! I don't want nothing! You not being good Mom. I'm going to put you in the brown chair." (And a tantrum meltdown ensues)

I can tell Claire is just inquisitive; genuinely curious to know all the answers, so I don't want to ignore her.  But at the same time I don't want to lose my sanity. I do try and turn around the "Why" questions on her when I can, but she usually says "No mom, you tell me". haha.

 All in all, I know it's an important developmental stage, I just hope it doesn't last any longer than it needs to.

No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

The Huebel Hammock Has MOVED!

Guys and Gals the Huebel Hammock has moved to a new location on the world wide web... Please make sure to bookmark the new spot:  https://hu...