Ultimate Eagles fan

Monday, February 05, 2018
Growing up in Newark Delaware, there's not a whole lot of sports teams to cheer for (sorry University of Delaware Fighting Blue Hens and sorry Delaware Blue Rocks). So by default, everyone latches onto the Philadelphia Eagles, the Phillies, sometimes the Ravens, and not the 76ers. Our neighbors next door, the Bairds, had 3 girls, also our play mates till 6th grade when we moved to Texas. (They also had a golden retriever named Ginger. Why do I remember that?) Anyway Mr. Baird was quite possibly the biggest Eagles fan I'd ever met. You'd always know if it was game day by the big 'ole flag he'd fly outside. He pretty much lived in Eagles gear everyday.

Over the last few weeks as the Eagles progressed in the playoffs, etc I would always think of him and wonder what he'd be wearing if the Eagles actually made it to the Super Bowl... Then through Facebook connections, I saw a SI article all about Mr. Wayne Baird. It turns out he is battling a rare form of Lymphoma and was given tickets to the Super Bowl game via Dream Foundation for terminally ill patients. You can read the story here: Deserving Fan gets Super Bowl Tickets

And his daughter just posted this follow-up to the story on Facebook:
Their original seats were in section 300, just a few rows away from the Pats fan that was in the same Sports Illustrated article as my dad, and he recognized my dad since he wore his Rocky robe to the game. They started talking and then the Pats fan decided to write a message on social media that got Sports Illustrated’s attention about his disappointment with their seat section...which led to them being upgraded to a suite directly behind the Eagles end zone!! My sisters and I heard [briefly] from my parents at the game (my mom managed to press mute during both of our FaceTime sessions 😂) so all the amazing details will come later..but again thank you for all of the love and good juju...this will definitely be an unforgettable trip for my parents!!!! E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!! 💚🦅🏈




What a neat story. Makes me so happy and sad at the same time.




No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

The Huebel Hammock Has MOVED!

Guys and Gals the Huebel Hammock has moved to a new location on the world wide web... Please make sure to bookmark the new spot:  https://hu...